Thursday, January 08, 2009

Eris, Makemake, Ceres, Pluto, Haumea...update your solar system

I happened to miss the fact that we now have five new "dwarf planets" in the solar system as of September and that we now officially have only eight planets. I've kept a little sticky on my solar system map since 2004 waiting for some big announcement about the new planet name for UB313. Apparently-- with the wars and economic meltdowns,... oh and Brittany Spears' various meltdowns and as always, Brad and Angelina--this news wasn't worthy of a front page headline.

THERE ARE NO LONGER NINE PLANETS IN YOUR SOLAR SYSTEM (but there are now five really cute mini-planets with pointy hats)

Ok, it made the New York Times in 2007 and NPR in 2006. I guess I wanted splash, a ticker tape parade.

How could I have missed this????

No comments: